Broke Da Mouth Spam Empanadas
This is a recipe my wife came up with in less than 24hrs before entering it into The 2016 Great American SPAM® Championship, at the San Diego Del Mar Fair. It will make you rethink spam altogether.
- 12 oz Regular Spam
- 15 oz Ready Made Pie Crust
- 8 oz Rootbeer Soda
- 8 oz Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder
- 8 oz Mango
- 4 oz Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 4 Oz Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Honey
For the empanadas:
- Cut spam into 1/2-1 inch blocks and place into slow cooker.
- Add 8 ounces of Rootbeer Soda and 4 ounces of Honey BBQ sauce into slow cooker.
- Heat spam, rootbeer soda, and honey BBQ sauce in slow cooker for 2 hours on high heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine 4 ounces of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of Siracha sauce, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder to form a paste. (Add more cayenne powder to increase spiceness).
- Once spam has been marinated in the slow cooker – take out the spam from the marinade and place in bowl with sugar/bbq sauce paste. Coat the spam with sauce paste.
- Take spam out of sauce paste and place on cooking sheet and place in oven on broil for 5-10 minutes. Some carmelization is normal.
- Take spam out of oven and place in bowl. Once spam is in bowl, shred the spam into small pieces.
- Take out ready made pie crust and cut out 3 inch dough disks (can use a cookie cutter, pastry cutter or wide mouth of a cup/mason jar).
- Lay out dough disks and place a heaped teaspoon of filling in the middle. Pull over the other half of dough and press down the edges of dough with a
fork or your fingers.
- Place empanadas on baking sheet, brush with oil, butter or egg and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
For the Honey-Mango Dipping Sauce:
- Place 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce, 1 teaspoon cayenne powder, fresh basil, lemon juice, honey, mayonnaise, and mango in food processor.
- Blend until creamy.
Yields: 16 Empanadas
Photo’s to come once I convince her to make them for me again.